Tuesday, May 19, 2015

31 Days of Comics: Day 19 – A Comic That You Quote From

ROB'S NOTE: May has become the go-to month of the Comic’s Industry (even though National Superhero Day is late April, but whatever… Congress… pshaw).  It is when Marvel drops their big movie of the year.  May also sees the annual Free Comic Book Day celebration take place on the first Saturday of the Month, so I hope you all got to check that out.  May also has 31 days of the month so what better way to celebrate the wonderful world of sequential art with the 31 Days of Comics?

Seth Hahne, who runs the blog GoodOkBad, has put together the 31 Days of Comics challenge.  A daily challenge in which you are given a category and you have to fill it with a comic that you think fits it the best.  You’re all on the internet, I shouldn’t have to explain it to you.  For the rest of the month I will be taking this challenge.  It is my hope it encourages others to make and share their own lists either in the comments here or on their own websites.  The sharing not only might turn comic fans on to works they have yet to sample but maybe catch the eye of a few non-comic fans and highlight the diversity of the form. 

Our prompt for Day 19 is “A comic that you quote from.”


Scott Pilgrim
By Bryan Lee O’Malley

This one was easy.  The people who know me know I am a quoter.  I regularly drop lines from movies, television shows, and music lyrics into conversations.  I pretty much have a quote from The Wire ready to go for any situation I face.

Quoting comics is a little more difficult due to the fact that, as much as it shouldn’t be the case, comics aren’t consumed as much by the mass population.  Even amongst my friends that read comics we also tend to have such different reading tastes that a quote may be lost on them.

Unless of course we’re dropping lines from Scott Pilgrim.

There are a couple of reasons why Scott Pilgrim is my go to for quotes in everyday conversation but the main reason is that despite the video game reality they live in, the basic themes of the book are common to anybody who is or will be in their 20s.  Growing up, taking responsibility, relationships, and making bad decisions is universal to any 20-something.  It also helps that they made a movie out of it and kept a lot of the comic script for it.

Here are some you can use in everyday situations.

For breakfast?

“Today a child is born unto us, and his name will be bacon.”

Talking trash about somebody in your social group?

“Let’s be friends based on mutual hate.”

Friends doing something stupid at a friend’s party or gathering?
“Maybe I should have mentioned my friends are retarded douchebags.”

Talking about your diet?


Meeting your friend’s new girlfriend?

“You’re too good for him.”

Best apology ever?

“I’m sorry about me”

I don’t know when you’d use this but it would be awesome if you did

“What kind of idiot would knowingly date a girl named Knives?!?!?”

And probably my most used line from the entire series…


And if you don’t like this book well then….



No comments:

Post a Comment