Saturday, May 9, 2015

31 Days of Comics: Day 8 – A Gorgeous Comic


 May has become the go-to month of the Comic’s Industry (even though National Superhero Day is late April, but whatever… Congress… pshaw).  It is when Marvel drops their big movie of the year.  May also sees the annual Free Comic Book Day celebration take place on the first Saturday of the Month, so I hope you all got to check that out.  May also has 31 days of the month so what better way to celebrate the wonderful world of sequential art with the 31 Days of Comics?

Seth Hahne, who runs the blog GoodOkBad, has put together the 31 Days of Comics challenge.  A daily challenge in which you are given a category and you have to fill it with a comic that you think fits it the best.  You’re all on the internet, I shouldn’t have to explain it to you.  For the rest of the month I will be taking this challenge.  It is my hope it encourages others to make and share their own lists either in the comments here or on their own websites.  The sharing not only might turn comic fans on to works they have yet to sample but maybe catch the eye of a few non-comic fans and highlight the diversity of the form. 

Our prompt for Day 8 is “A Gorgeous Comic”

The Killer
Written by Martz
Art by Luc Jacamon

This will be the shortest entry of the 31 days. 

If you’ve read some of the previous entries I am a self-admitted amateur when it comes to art.  I am very much in the category of “I don’t know art, but I know what I like” types of critics when it comes to the visual aspect of comic books.  I can talk about the use of art in comics for story time devices, the use of panels and space between them, and how it impacts the narrative.  But when it comes to the details I’m pretty much stuck with “woah, that’s pretty.”

And The Killer is very pretty.  The Killer is a tale about an assassin for hire and the drives and things that guide him.  It’s a character study that occasionally has some action.  It’s really good. 

So here are some examples of why it is gorgeous.




No comments:

Post a Comment